(08x12) 185 - Dear Uncle Abdul

Talk about individual episodes here. Every episode has its own discussion thread and there are also threads for each season.

Rate This Episode

Best of the best
No votes
Above average
No votes
Average
100%
Below average
No votes
Worst of the worst
No votes

Total votes: 1

RJ
General of the Army

(08x12) 185 - Dear Uncle Abdul

Post by RJ »

Use this thread to discuss 08x12: Dear Uncle Abdul.
Ferret Face
First Lieutenant

Re: (08x12) 185 - Dear Uncle Abdul

Post by Ferret Face »

I believe I've seen this episode three times. The first time was on TV, long before I got this season on DVD. And I absolutely hated this episode then. It was easily my least favorite episode I had seen of the series (though at the time, there were pretty decent number of episodes I hadn't seen yet). Since then, I seem to have warmed up to it a bit.

Admittedly, it's still my least favorite "Dear" episode, and there are some things that are a bit off. But I do like the general idea that the story was going for. The main joke that Hawkeye and BJ were telling was kind of weak, but I did like how they became so obsessive and petty about it, which seemed really in character for both of them. And I liked the ending where they're both told off by Klinger, as he explains why neither of them are that funny compared to the craziness of the people in camp. An speaking of which, I did like the various comedic moments from the other characters. Most notably, I thought Charles using Klinger as a bird dog was pretty great, especially when the one that he did shoot landed on a mine.

I'm still not a big fan of the side-story with Eddie. I think it could have been a decent story if they had more time to flesh it out, but as it was, it seemed kind of flat.