(07x11) 158 - Point of View

Talk about individual episodes here. Every episode has its own discussion thread and there are also threads for each season.

Rate This Episode

Best of the best
20%
Above average
80%
Average
No votes
Below average
No votes
Worst of the worst
No votes

Total votes: 5

Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

(07x11) 158 - Point of View

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

I think we can pretty much agree that this was one possibly one of the most visually interest, if not the most visually interesting episode ever made: Ken Levine made note that the goal for Season Seven was to make the season as visually interesting as possible to give viewers a break from seeing the same old sets over and over and over again for six years, and this was a really clever manuver, having the camp seen through the eyes of a wounded soldier.

Although I think it could have been a little more authentic if we didn't have any fading, cuts, close ups, etc., but other than that, great idea for an episode.

And is it just me, or did Private Rich's voice sound like it was done by Gary Burghoff before his throat injury, then Sal Viscuso afterwards?
Kret
Private

Re: (07x11) 158 - Point of View

Post by Kret »

This is actually a terrific example of the first part of medical evacuation chain in Korea. While today people born in the 80's-90's are probably used to first person narration due to countless computer games, this must have been pretty extraordinary for that time.

What I miss "technically" (it wouldn't make sense for the episode but would complete the picture) would be to show the Evacuation Hospital and what they do there before sending the wounded back to US.

It was less emotional for me but much more informative.
Ferret Face
First Lieutenant

Re: (07x11) 158 - Point of View

Post by Ferret Face »

Great episode. Obviously the thing that stands out most is the visual aspect, which was very impressive especially considering the era. But what really helps sell the episode beyond just the gimmick is the way that gimmick is used to present these characters in a different light. In that sense, I see it as kind of similar to "The Interview." They did a great job of capturing the craziness of these characters, albeit in a kind of toned down way, while playing up each of their own sense of compassion and professionalism as they deal with the patient. I also liked the side story of Colonel Potter, after he forgot his anniversary, with the scene where he tells the patient his issues being very well acted by Harry Morgan.