(04x15) 087 - Mail Call Again

Talk about individual episodes here. Every episode has its own discussion thread and there are also threads for each season.

Rate This Episode

Best of the best
No votes
Above average
33%
Average
67%
Below average
No votes
Worst of the worst
No votes

Total votes: 3

Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

(04x15) 087 - Mail Call Again

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

Of the Mail Call trilogy, this is probably my second favorite of them, I think the highlight of this episode was the fact that Louise ended up finding out about Margaret and was filing for divorce, but Frank, being the weasel he was, managed to call her up and convince her otherwise... his entire phone conversation is hilarious!

"Louise, I got your letter today, and honey... sugar, I just can't believe it, I just can't... y'know, believe it! Darling, you KNOW the minute I met you, I lost all interest in women. Houlihan? Well, we HAVE a Major Houlihan, but that's laughable, I mean, Major Houlihan's an old war horse! :lol: I DON'T CARE WHAT CHUCK TOLD YOU, I... Attractive? Houilhan? Uh... she looks like an army mule with bosoms... not that I ever noticed her bosoms... NONONO WAIT, LOUISE! I can't live without you! If you divorce me, I'll do myself an injury... I'LL RUN RIGHT OUT INTO THE MIDDLE OF THE WAR! Louise, don't cry, Jiminey Cricket... your picture's in my wallet, and I'm sitting on it... and if that's not love, I don't know what is... that's my sugar! Yes, yes, I'll write you a nice long letter, and you get rid of that lawyer. Oh, Louise? Am I, uh... still in your father's will? Good, good... well darling, they're going to cut us off... I love you angel, ONLY you..." *Kissey noises, hangs up, evil chuckle*
BJ Emerson Flagg
Private

Re: (04x15) 087 - Mail Call Again

Post by BJ Emerson Flagg »

Margaret was apparently so deep into carnal lust she was even willing to keep such a relationship with a man of little,no or at least questionable values while she herself was actually quite the woman of virtue.These steely,sneaky and deviant episodes of Frank's life provided some of Larry Linville's finest and most inspired performances.
kkt
Sergeant

Post by kkt »

Margaret wasn't exactly a saint, and that made her a more interesting character than if she were. She had a continuing relationship with a married man. She enthusiastically ate the ham Frank stole during "Crisis". She hid her own stash of brandy in the supply tent and kept it a secret from Frank when he ordered the camp dry. In "The Abduction of Margaret Houlihan" she violated procedure by leaving camp without telling the colonel or officer of the day.

She was generally good-hearted, but she had some flaws too.
BJ Emerson Flagg
Private

Post by BJ Emerson Flagg »

It is true that when the series started its distinguished run,Margaret was indeed a woman of questionable character and maybe for a while,but by the time of this particular episode,she had made full transformation from half a tramp to the "woman of virtue" labeled her in my previous post on this thread.Even the "Hot Lips" moniker was history.Similar case in point,Max Klinger.When the show began,he was certianly somewhat of a devious scoundrel.But look at the later episodes,post cross-dressing.He became a highly responsible,respectable important clog in the MASH 4077 machine.Alot like real life,really.Times change,people change....
Moe_Hawk
Corporal

Post by Moe_Hawk »

I've always been miffed by this perception that Margaret was a woman of 'virtue' as it was put.

Whilst I don't question her integrity, Houlihan on this show is an absolute emotional wreck and more than any other character on the show lets her emotions compromise the MASH... both the health of the patients as well as the day to day running. And she's soon awful to the lower ranking soldiers.

W/O dedicating too much time to this, Margaret is known to:
- Head into the OR drunk because she's upset that Frank won't leave his wife
- Trashes Radar's office because Potter won't let her go to Donald for a booty call
- Ignores Klinger's knowledge of the roads and makes him go a stupid way because she's in a hurry
- Blasts Sidney because there's athlete supporter in the tent
- Lies to Potter about her alco friend and lets her into OR while she is withdrawing
- Hits on multiple visitors
- Endorses Hawkeye's plan to drop booze on visiting officer in April Fools after calling him inferior
- Drops her bundle and performs badly in OR every time she's under inspection
- Withdraws her witness statement that Hawkeye hit Frank because she thinks Frank and that Colon are 'fooling around'

This is just what I can think off the top of my head. I reckon there's at least 50 more examples if not more.

She's definitely my least favourite character on the show