(03x19) 067 - Aid Station

Talk about individual episodes here. Every episode has its own discussion thread and there are also threads for each season.

Rate This Episode

Best of the best
No votes
Above average
100%
Average
No votes
Below average
No votes
Worst of the worst
No votes

Total votes: 3

Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

(03x19) 067 - Aid Station

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

I liked this episode. It seems like by Season Three, they were able to make more and more gutsy moves in the direction of the show, and this episode showed us some of the horrors of war, which is something they really didn’t get to do a lot previously. If we think they had it bad at the 4077th (like Frank kept whining about throughout the episode), aid stations had it a lot worse… I think it was either Hawkeye or Margaret who remarked when they first got there, “You’d never know this was a hospital”.

This was also one of Henry’s shining episodes: for a change, the usually funny and inept Colonel Blake actually showed a little bit of backbone by taking the situation with the aid station seriously, and actually exercizing command when he tried to get volunteers to go and assist them. Again, it was really be Season Three that Henry started to take a turn for the better as a character, and it really makes me think, if Mac Stevenson had stayed a little while longer, would Henry’s character continue to develop in such a direction, and actually become more and more of a competent commanding officer? I’d like to think so.

I also kind of like the slighty arrogant attitude Klinger has with Radar when they return, acting like a big shot hero and everything when he sees all his dresses were given away, “You people in the rear have no respect for us guys up at the front lines!”
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Re: (03x19) 067 - Aid Station

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

I've realized there's something poignant about this episode in retrospect: the bedtime scene in the Swamp. Notice who's in it? Trapper, Henry, Frank, and Radar. Only those four. And each of those characters would eventually depart from the show: Trapper and Henry by season's end, Frank two seasons later, and Radar two seasons after that. It's an almost eerie-feeling scene in hindsight, when you consider it only features characters that would eventually leave the 4077th - I do believe it's the only scene of its kind in the entire series; I'm trying to think if there's ever been a scene in a later episode/season that featured only B.J., Potter, and Charles (the replacements)? Maybe that scene from "The Grim Reaper" (I think) where B.J. and Charles take their fight over a flight jacket to Potter while he's in bed . . . of course, it's a petty scene, whereas the "Aid Station" scene is more heartfelt and touching.