(03x02) 050 - Rainbow Bridge

Talk about individual episodes here. Every episode has its own discussion thread and there are also threads for each season.

Rate This Episode

Best of the best
25%
Above average
50%
Average
No votes
Below average
25%
Worst of the worst
No votes

Total votes: 4

Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

(03x02) 050 - Rainbow Bridge

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

This was a really unique episode, in more ways than one. The story involved a Chinese medical unit not being able to give any care to captured American casualties, and actually offer to send them to the 4077th to be treated for their injuries... now granted, the Chinese were among the enemies in the Korean War, however, Hawkeye and Trapper seemed to indicate that the Chinese and the Americans had something of an understanding between the two of them as opposed to the North Koreans. Naturally, both Margaret and Frank are completely against the idea of heading to the pick-up point, Rainbow Bridge, which is far into their territory, on the grounds that they're probably planning an ambush.

This episode was also an introduction for two different people: first of all, Captain Spaulding, the camp minstrel, played by Loudon Wainwright III; I know a lot of fans dislike this character and say he's completely out of place at the 4077th, however, I seem to recall reading somewhere that Larry Gelbart simply wanted to try something different for that season, hence the inclusion of Spaulding. This episode also marks the first guest appearance of Mako, who made a number of guest appearances on the show, as both good guys and bad guys; Mako was also responsible for the East West Players, a group dedicated to getting better, non-stereotypical roles for Asian-America actors and entertainers.

Now, being a producer myself, I also really like this episode for its production value; this episode had some really great cinematography that I just love. Some of my favorite sequences are as the bus pulls out of the Compound, and a flustered Henry walks across the Compound accompanied by Spaulding just striking up his upbeat tune "North Korean Blues" (by the way, why was his composition called "North Korean Blues" when he's singing about Tokyo?); the entire bus ride to Rainbow Bridge with absolutely no dialogue audible, while still accompanied by Spaulding's tune, and the rumblings of the bus; even the different camera angles as Hawkeye, Trapper, and Frank begin to approach Dr. Lin Tak and his people, while they do the same.
BJ Emerson Flagg
Private

Re: (03x02) 050 - Rainbow Bridge

Post by BJ Emerson Flagg »

It is thoroughly refreshing to hear someone acknowledge MASH's production values.These sorts of things are generally not appreciated too much by people who claim to be big tv re-run fans(at least here in America).MASH won awards here for writing and directing as well as acting and the series as a whole(Emmy award winner-Outstadning Comedy Series 1974)MASH had much depth in the areas of character development and technical prowess.As far as this episode in particular,the message here was that even as warring factions,people can break down into their redeeming human elements.
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

Well, I am aware that both Larry Gelbart and Gene Reynolds wanted the show to really stand out and look "classy" compared to other sitcoms at the time, such as being filmed instead of video taped, as well as giving it a cinematic look to the cinematography... not to mention look at all the vehicles they had: jeeps, ambulances, choppers... those alone must have cost a pretty penny to have.

Ken Levine also added once that by the time they were filming Season Seven, they were getting tired of filming the same sets over and over and over again for six years, so they tried making that season seem as visually interesting as possible, hence outdoor shooting at night on the Ranch instead Stage 9, taking the characters to different locations, having episodes set entirely in a different location like Rosie's Bar, etc.
BJ Emerson Flagg
Private

Post by BJ Emerson Flagg »

All wonderful explorations into just what can(and maybe can't so much)be achieved through the medium of television...
5'O'clockcharlie
Corporal

Post by 5'O'clockcharlie »

One of my favorite. ( and one I recently watched as well.) You I like Captain Spaulding, I dont really find him out of place at all. I like that he is sing North Korean blues when the episode starts. Its something different. I think its pleasing to the eyes.. I love when Frank pulls out his very small gun and the guy just laughs. lol.. Leave it to Frank to act the fool. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YnAF0_7 ... aZM9nmi3Ki