(01x08) 008 - Cowboy

Talk about individual episodes here. Every episode has its own discussion thread and there are also threads for each season.

Rate This Episode

Best of the best
No votes
Above average
100%
Average
No votes
Below average
No votes
Worst of the worst
No votes

Total votes: 3

RJ
General of the Army

(01x08) 008 - Cowboy

Post by RJ »

Use this thread to discuss episode 01x08, Cowboy.
Grove17
Sergeant

Re: (01x08) 008 - Cowboy

Post by Grove17 »

A double Dear John John....from Reno
Best Care Anywhere
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

This was actually the first episode I taped when I first started watching the show back in 2005.

Most M*A*S*Hers tend to regard this as one of the worst episodes of the series, I think they find the whole concept of Cowboy the chopper pilot to be a little out there sure, but I find this episode to be rather humorous... "Jeep... crash... boom... kill... jeep... crash... boom... kill... jeep... crash... boom... kill..." or even when Henry gets blown up in the latrine: "Boooom..."
Ferret Face
First Lieutenant

Post by Ferret Face »

I liked this one. My favorite up to this point in the series. Of course, it had a lot of great humor with the assassination attempts on Henry (that sounds so weird...), his growing anxiety, and the anxiety of those around him (Radar giving him the papers attached to the pole, and people not wanting to get close to him in the mess tent).

But the thing that I think raises the episode to another level is the Cowboy himself. Yes, some of the humor around him may have been a bit much, but that's not what I'm talking about. I just love how they handled the character on a human level. This was the first time in the series where they really explored a patient's emotional drama, and I think they really nailed it IMO. I especially loved the emotion he showed as Hawkeye was reading the letter, as he found out that his wife was tempted to have an affair, but was able to remain faithful to him. Really great acting in that scene, IMO.