Radar and the Colonels

Talk about all things M*A*S*H -- the novel, the film, the television series, even the play. Not to mention the spin-offs, merchandise, cast, crew and anything else you can think of to talk about.
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Radar and the Colonels

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

Another topic from BCA I think can be brought over here for discussion.

What is your take on Radar and both Henry and Potter? He obviously developed a close relationship with both of them, but who do you believe he ultimately grew closer to? Who do you think was really a father-figure for him?

I've come to agree with the notion most fans have garnered that Potter had more of a father-son relationship with Radar (Harry has even said that Gary was like a son to him), whereas Henry's was more of a big brother-little brother relationship.

I could go on, but I'll share only little tidbits into it... like take for example the Colonels' involvement with other women: Henry had flings with various different nurses in camp, in Season One, he had a mistress in Leslie Scorch, and in Season Two, a girl half his age, Nancy Sue Parker... all the while, Radar would look the other way, or not think anything of it, though he did sort of bring Henry and Lorraine back together through the phone. Potter on the other hand, Radar absolutely flipped out over the very notion that Potter could possibly cheat on Mildred, and made a big deal out of him becoming chummy with the visiting Lil Rayburn.

True he had trouble adjusting to Potter in the beginning, but that seemed to change pretty quickly with his first gesture of wanting to be friends: giving Potter Sophie. Henry "left" twice, once he was transfered to Tokyo, and the other when he was discharged, neither time, Radar didn't seem too upset, except for Henry's final departure where he teared up on the helipad, but when Potter announced he was going to retire and put in for a stateside transfer, everyone including him were upset over Potter leaving, and worked to try to get him to stay.

On top of that, Potter seemed more affectionate towards him than Henry at times: Henry didn't want a sappy goodbye between them when he was trasnfered to Tokyo, and with the possible ceasefire, his talk of them getting together sometime after the war seemed more like he was humoring Radar rather than be serious, though it's clear that the hug that he gave Radar before leaving for the last time was genuine (McLean even said that hug wasn't even scripted, he just did it as a final goodbye to Gary), whereas Potter was brought to tears as Radar was leaving the 4077th.
Garbage Officer
Sergeant

Re: Radar and the Colonels

Post by Garbage Officer »

Not specifically to Radar's relationship's with the Colonel's but all the later relationships were better than the earlier ones. The friendship's seemed more sincere and deeper than anything before them.
Ranger
Corporal

Post by Ranger »

While the chemistry between Radar and Henry is one of my favourite things from the show, I do agree that Radar became closer to Potter in the end and their friendship was more sincere.
Radar knew he could pull the wool over Henry's eyes and he couldn't with Potter so that meant he treated him with more respect. I also think Potter looked out for Radar a lot, putting him to bed in The Gun or helping him with The Soldier of Month competition. He also stood up for Radar when he was laughing at something and Frank glowered at him.

I think Radar did view Henry as a father figure as he was the nearest there was in the camp, but Potter was a genuine father figure.
Mrs Tuttle
Corporal

Post by Mrs Tuttle »

Garbage Officer wrote:Not specifically to Radar's relationship's with the Colonel's but all the later relationships were better than the earlier ones. The friendship's seemed more sincere and deeper than anything before them.
I totally agree. Which is why i feel that Hawkeye's and BJ's friendship was so much more than Hawk's and Trapper's ever was.. But that's just my opinion.
But yer, i feel Potter was more of a father figure for Radar. Henry, along with Hawkeye, seemed more like his big brothers..
Never insult 7 men when all you have is a 6 shooter
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

I kind of have to wonder something...

We know Radar reacted differently towards each of the Colonels and other women: when it came to Henry's affair with Nancy Sue Parker (who was half his age), Radar seemed to shrug it off for the most part; however, when Potter befriended the visiting Colonel Lil Rayburn, Radar went bezerk at just the thought of Potter cheating on Mildred (even though he didn't).

Now I have to wonder this, we know that Henry ended up receiving a letter from Lorraine once, and when he called her, he learned that she too had been unfaithful to him by having a fling with an orthodontist they know; Henry seemed really heartbroken, yet all Radar did was offer him a hanky (of course, he was preoccupied with the circumcision that was about to happen). Now, suppose Potter ended up receiving a similar letter from Mildred, how do you think Radar would react to that? Somehow, based on his different reactions to the different Colonels and their situations, I imagine that Radar would seem personally devastated by idea, I believe he would feel as if his mother had cheated on his father, and it would destroy him. Just my thought.
Grove17
Sergeant

Post by Grove17 »

Big Daddy O'Reilly wrote:I kind of have to wonder something...

We know Radar reacted differently towards each of the Colonels and other women: when it came to Henry's affair with Nancy Sue Parker (who was half his age), Radar seemed to shrug it off for the most part; however, when Potter befriended the visiting Colonel Lil Rayburn, Radar went bezerk at just the thought of Potter cheating on Mildred (even though he didn't).

Now I have to wonder this, we know that Henry ended up receiving a letter from Lorraine once, and when he called her, he learned that she too had been unfaithful to him by having a fling with an orthodontist they know; Henry seemed really heartbroken, yet all Radar did was offer him a hanky (of course, he was preoccupied with the circumcision that was about to happen). Now, suppose Potter ended up receiving a similar letter from Mildred, how do you think Radar would react to that? Somehow, based on his different reactions to the different Colonels and their situations, I imagine that Radar would seem personally devastated by idea, I believe he would feel as if his mother had cheated on his father, and it would destroy him. Just my thought.

They dont make it clear what Henrys wife did with the orthodontist it sounded to me like they just went to a movie or something.
Best Care Anywhere
Obie
Corporal

Post by Obie »

I made this comment over on BCA board about this:

I believe the writers "suited" Radar to fit each Colonel's personality and it worked great. I love the different Radar characters we were presented with to each Colonel. Those writer's were terrific.
Miss Ginger