Other M*A*S*H like shows.

Talk about all things M*A*S*H -- the novel, the film, the television series, even the play. Not to mention the spin-offs, merchandise, cast, crew and anything else you can think of to talk about.
5'O'clockcharlie
Corporal

Other M*A*S*H like shows.

Post by 5'O'clockcharlie »

Nothing will top M*A*S*h in my book but I have had some people suggest some other shows like it. Such as Hogans Heroes, Mchale's Navy, Scrubs and Cheers. I have started watching Mchale's Navy and I really enjoy it.. " Cut it out Mchale!" I haven't watched a lot of Cheers or Scrubs and have seen maybe one episode of Hogans Heroes and it just seemed too corny for me. Anyways I was wondering if anyone had anymore suggestions for M*A*S*H like shows or anything to add on the subject?
RJ
General of the Army

Re: Other M*A*S*H like shows.

Post by RJ »

I love Scrubs and at times it is definitely like M*A*S*H: laugh out loud funny one minute, achingly dramatic the next.
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

I haven't seen McHALE'S NAVY, though it's my understand that one of the writers/producers from that series was Si Rose, who later went on to write for and executive produce a number of Sid & Marty Kroffts' shows.

I agree that HOGAN'S HEROES is on the corny side... I actually used to hate that show because of how silly and fluffy it is, but when I started watching more of it (I'd watch on YouTube mainly so I could troll the comments), the more it actually grew on me; I like it now, it's nowhere near as good as M*A*S*H, but it's got some appealing characters (albiet absolutely no character development) and some amusing situations... and even on some rare occasions, can actually have some dark moments too.

I haven't seen it, but I've been told that NORTHERN EXPOSURE is like M*A*S*H... not necessarily as a military sitcom, or a medical comedy, but rather, as a quirkly ensemble series. I've heard of it, but again, I haven't seen it, so I'm not entirely sure.
5'O'clockcharlie
Corporal

Interesting fact I didn't know. I have Northern Exposureon my watch list now. Damn I lost my train of thought, oh I got it now .. so I have been just looking into T.V shows and trolling a little. I stumbled across Trapper John M.D which I didn't know about this because its spin off of the movie M*A*S*H ( which I also enjoy. Donald Sutherland has this corny nerdiness that for some reason I find attractive.) and rather random things I read about that is that Wayne Rogers turned down the role.. (Thank you IMDb) Have any of you seen that show??

Anymore show I want to know if you have watched isGomer Pyle, U.S.M.C
it has Any Griffith I think.. Random thing I noticed that Private Gomer Pyle is the name of that bumbling marine in Full Metal Jacket ( A favorite of mine.) who goes all crazy.. Interesting but well played.. Thoughts? :potter:
5'O'clockcharlie
Corporal

OKay wait Gomer Pyle was a character on the Andy Griffith show that spun off into the show Gomer Pyle USMC... So I mislead you ha ha .
BJ Emerson Flagg
Private

Post by BJ Emerson Flagg »

Did the UK ever get to see the "MASH" spinoff called "After Mash"?It was about Sherman Potter working in a Missouri military veterans hospital with Klinger and Father Mulcahy.
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

I grew up with THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW (being from Tennessee, Andy was an treasured icon here), however, I've never ever actually had the pleasure of being able to catch an episode of GOMER PYLE, U.S.M.C., so I really don't know what I'm missing.

Well, no, I take that back: I seem to recall seeing a little of one episode where I think both Gomer and Sergeant Carter were eating some kind of dish that caused them both to sleepwalk, and kind of reverse their personalities (Gomer turning into a strict drill sergeant-like soldier, and Carter turning all meek and wimpy).

Come to think of it, I have to wonder... did television viewers back in the day find themselves confused with the fact that two different military sitcoms (in this case, GOMER PYLE, U.S.M.C. and HOGAN'S HEROES) had a character named Carter, who was a Sergeant?
Obie
Corporal

Post by Obie »

I enjoyed McHale's Navy. An old show called Black Sheep Squadron (or something similar) was really good. It starred Robert Conrad. Wow, that was a long time ago. I also enjoyed a show called The Rat Patrol. Y'all check into these, they are quite good and though not comedies, on a par with M*A*S*H as to content and accuracy.
Miss Ginger
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

I just thought of another one.. of course, it's REALLY obscure, and probably hard to come back, but Ken Levine posted about this earlier in the year.

Apparently in 1974 (I think... 74, 75, somethin' like that), Larry Gelbart and Gene Reynolds tried to use the success of M*A*S*H to help them bolster another irreverent military sitcom - I don't remember the name of it (FALL IN or FALL OUT or something along those lines), but it was about a platoon of black soldiers stationed in France during WW2. Apparently it wasn't a hit, and only lasted one season... I saw a promotional photo of the two stars of the show, and they were both dressed like Radar (with the wool caps and all).
5'O'clockcharlie
Corporal

Honestly I dont think we missed much not watching Gomer Pyle USMC. :P I thought about watching this last week but I was sick. But I just decided on M*A*S*H.. I'm trying to get out more with what I watch.
Ranger
Corporal

Post by Ranger »

I don't think there's anything quite like M*A*S*H but I do think Cheers is worth watching. I haven't seen any of the other shows mentioned. I remember someone telling me that It Ain't Half Hot Mum made them think of M*A*S*H but I don't really see any similarities apart from the army setting and that one of the characters cross dresses (though for very different reasons)

The Lister/Rimmer dynamic in Red Dwarf reminds me a bit of the Hawkeye/Frank relationship, but apart from that the shows aren't similar.