Season Four Continuity Problems

Talk about all things M*A*S*H -- the novel, the film, the television series, even the play. Not to mention the spin-offs, merchandise, cast, crew and anything else you can think of to talk about.
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Season Four Continuity Problems

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

I got to thinking last night about the M*A*S*H timeline and everything, and it occured to me that the whole season of Season Four is full of continuity problems.

- The events of "Change of Command" (4x03) appear to take place right after "Welcome to Korea, Part 2" (4x02), which would indicate that Potter was assigned to the 4077th immediately after B.J. had arrived. This episode also seems to indicate that this was B.J.'s first time actually performing surgery at the 4077th as well, which I assume since the previous episode was most about B.J.'s arrival in Korea, that this was mostly used as creative license.
- In "The Bus" (4x07), B.J. tells Frank that he spent a week with him in command before Potter arrived... broadcast-wise, that would make some sense, but again, based on the events of the previously mentioned episodes, that would make it seem like they went a whole week without any casualties or wounded if B.J.'s first time in O.R. was the same as Potter's... but then again, I believe in "Your Hit Parade" (6x19), they went through an 11-day period with no casualties, so maybe they were in a lull.
- Finally, in "The Interview" (4x25), B.J. tells Clete Roberts that he performed three amputations before he even had his first breakfast at the 4077... which again, doesn't add up. Unless things got so busy that the surgeons had to miss out on some meals, this contradicts the events of the beginning of the season, where again, apparently B.J.'s first stint in O.R. was the same time as Potter's, even though here apparently B.J. was hard at work already.
Grove17
Sergeant

Re: Season Four Continuity Problems

Post by Grove17 »

I did notice when they are going into the OR, Hawk says to BJ "are you ready for this" and always wondered why he said that like it was his first time operating.
Best Care Anywhere
BJ Emerson Flagg
Private

Re: Season Four Continuity Problems

Post by BJ Emerson Flagg »

I've heard that sometimes there are references to movies and maybe books that weren't made public until AFTER the Korean conflict.