ebay items that say there from the set

Talk about all things M*A*S*H -- the novel, the film, the television series, even the play. Not to mention the spin-offs, merchandise, cast, crew and anything else you can think of to talk about.
Grove17
Sergeant

ebay items that say there from the set

Post by Grove17 »

Anyone ever check ebay for actual props from the show? Right now there is an auction for a fan that was supposed to be from the actual set. I looked at the design of this fan and in no episodes see where it would have been. Some of the heat wave episodes have fans on radars/klingers desk and also on the CO's desk but its defiantly not the fan that's on ebay. Anyone come across anything or own anything that actually was proven to be from the real set?
Best Care Anywhere
RJ
General of the Army

Re: ebay items that say there from the set

Post by RJ »

I have seen quite a number of props said to be from the set, primarily things like pots, cans, radios, and other random set dressings. Nothing big or important and no way of knowing if they are legitimate. Certificates of authority are, unfortunately, very easy to fake.
Grove17
Sergeant

Post by Grove17 »

check this out

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MESS-HA ... 43b8971209

I cant remember a time when they used these cups at all, its always been white coffee cups,
Best Care Anywhere
Eric
Private

Post by Eric »

I have a few props and wardrobe from the show. There are a few ways to help determine authenticity. Most of the props were provided by Ellis Props and Graphics. The company shut down several years ago and sold everything at auction. Their Certificates of Authenticity hold up. I have a mess kit and coffee cup from Ellis. The wardrobe was provided by Western Costume Co. in Hollywood. I have a full extra's uniform from Western. But as RJ said, Certificates of Authenticity should be approached carefully. I bought mine from dealers with return policies. This gives you a chance to return the item if you question the authenticity.

There is one item is that guaranteed authentic. There were pieces of the set sold by the Smithsonian in 1983-84. I have one of these pieces from the Officer's Club. They are not easy to find because they were very cheap (about $1.00), and most people did not think to keep them.
Eric