4077th division??

Talk about all things M*A*S*H -- the novel, the film, the television series, even the play. Not to mention the spin-offs, merchandise, cast, crew and anything else you can think of to talk about.
Grove17
Sergeant

4077th division??

Post by Grove17 »

This may or may not be an easy question. I was wondering what part of the army 4077th unit is in? Exe: 3rd army 16th battialion or whatever??
Best Care Anywhere
RJ
General of the Army

Re: 4077th division??

Post by RJ »

I do not recall that ever being specified but I am sure if it was, someone will chime in. I know I Corps was mentioned occasionally, but that would be a bit higher up the military food chain, I believe.
Grove17
Sergeant

Post by Grove17 »

Ive been paying much closer to the episodes looking for my answer, but maybe I should try to find info on the 8055th to see what the "real mash" was....
Best Care Anywhere
Chuck
Sergeant

Post by Chuck »

Well, I believe they were 8th Army. Currently, under the 8th Army is the 65th Medical Brigade. MASH could have been under the 65th, but I doubt it. Since they were deployable and mobile, they were probably under something else. The 8055 would become the 43d Surgical Hospital (Mobile Army). The only other thing I can think of in terms of "temporary" would be these MASH units as a part of the 1st Commonwealth Division which was part of I Corps. It's hard to find historical data on these units.
Grove17
Sergeant

Post by Grove17 »

Chuck wrote:Well, I believe they were 8th Army. Currently, under the 8th Army is the 65th Medical Brigade. MASH could have been under the 65th, but I doubt it. Since they were deployable and mobile, they were probably under something else. The 8055 would become the 43d Surgical Hospital (Mobile Army). The only other thing I can think of in terms of "temporary" would be these MASH units as a part of the 1st Commonwealth Division which was part of I Corps. It's hard to find historical data on these units.

I def agree with them being in the 8th army. I found the 8055 did become the 43rd as you stated. I just wondered if there was any real connection in the show with what they were supposed to be in other then the 8th army, i think that is mentioned several times. The only time that comes to mind is when they try to send that orphan baby of mixed race back to the states.
Best Care Anywhere
Chuck
Sergeant

Post by Chuck »

In “Yessir, That’s Our Baby”, when BJ and Hawk are visiting with the Army guy about getting the baby back to the states, the Army guy rattles off who has to sign off on the paperwork. He's specific and this could be the chain of command for the 4077 or whatever MASH was out there.
Grove17
Sergeant

Post by Grove17 »

Chuck wrote:In “Yessir, That’s Our Baby”, when BJ and Hawk are visiting with the Army guy about getting the baby back to the states, the Army guy rattles off who has to sign off on the paperwork. He's specific and this could be the chain of command for the 4077 or whatever MASH was out there.

yeah thats where he says about the 8th army
Best Care Anywhere