Me-TV

Talk about all things M*A*S*H -- the novel, the film, the television series, even the play. Not to mention the spin-offs, merchandise, cast, crew and anything else you can think of to talk about.
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Me-TV

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

Looks like my cable provider will FINALLY be carrying Me-TV later this fall... I'm looking forward to it, and seeing what classics I'll be able to see again that Nick@Nite and TV Land has turned its back on over the years.

I just have one question though: are the shows uncut, or it Me-TV a commercial channel as well?
RJ
General of the Army

Re: Me-TV

Post by RJ »

I do not receive Me-TV but if it is anything like Antenna TV it does have commercials and the episodes may be uncut or edited or sped up.
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

I haven't been too awfully impressed with MeTV's schedule so far, but for the past couple of days, I've been able to watch a bit, and I'm very pleased that so far, it would seem that the programming is uncut... you know, usually, on regular TV, you get this pattern: -- Main Titles -- Commercial Break -- Act One -- Commercial Break -- Act Two -- Commercial Break -- Tag/Closing -- Commercial Break -- End Titles That Are Shrunken To Make Room For More Commercials. On MeTV, however, the pattern seems to usually be: -- Main Titles -- Brief Show Promo -- Act One -- Commercial Break -- Act Two -- Brief Commercial Break -- Tag -- Full End Titles.

I think just about my only quibble with the channel is the sound quality... it almost sounds as if all of the shows' audio is being drowned out by a loud air conditioner, so you have to turn up the volume a bit to hear it, but in doing so, that hissing is also increased.

Other than that, I think I like this channel.
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Okay, so the episodes aren't ENTIRELY uncut... I watched "Dear Sis" (7x15) the other day, and there were a couple of minor trims, with Hawkeye, B.J., and Margaret moping in Potter's office, and later the toast to Mulcahy and half of Dona Nobis Pacem was omitted as well, but other than that...

I see MeTV is actually doing something I've suggested be done for some time now: in some portions of a program (not the entire program, mind you), it appears to play similar to the "Rapid Play" feature on most DVD players... it's effective in lessening the cutting, but it DOES make it a little strange to hear the characters talk normally one minute, then the next they sound like they've had too much caffine, lol.
Grove17
Sergeant

Post by Grove17 »

We have ME TV here and I just got done watching the episode where BJ arrives. They cut out his whole trip home working on guys being shelled and when radar runs into the mine field also getting drunk at Rosie's. They went straight from the picking him up to him saying hello ferret face.
Best Care Anywhere
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Gee whiz, you reckon they were trying to fit as much of the episode as they could into a half-hour timeslot, as opposed to splitting into two half-hour installments like in normal syndication?

Actually, come to think of it, I do have a minor annoyance with how most of the time when they return from commercial, they jump right into the middle of the scene; watched "The Gun" (4x14) last night, and after a commercial break, they went straight to Potter telling Radar that they weren't going to let him spend fifteen years in the stockade.
Grove17
Sergeant

Post by Grove17 »

Defiantly not the best but hey at least it's MASH
Best Care Anywhere