Gothics? (Vampire, werewolf, etc) references in M*A*S*H

Talk about all things M*A*S*H -- the novel, the film, the television series, even the play. Not to mention the spin-offs, merchandise, cast, crew and anything else you can think of to talk about.
stormy_daze
Private

Gothics? (Vampire, werewolf, etc) references in M*A*S*H

Post by stormy_daze »

Hey, all!

I'm a PhD student and writing a chapter on M*A*S*H and masculinity, focusing on Hawkeye, Klinger and Winchester.

I've been asked to write a conference paper on M*A*S*H and Gothic. I have a few episodes in mind for a more subtle Gothic ("Dreams", "Hawk's Nightmare",Follies of the Living, Concerns of the Dead", etc, but I remember the series had quite a few jokes about classic Gothic stuff like Dorian Gray (there's a reference in "The Smell Of Music" on Dorian Gray), and Jekyll and Hyde (Dr Pierce and Mr Hyde, Dr Winchester and Mr Hyde).

I don't really have time to rewatch the entire series looking for jokes remotely related to the Gothic - things like vampires, werewolves, Frankenstein, other Dorian Gray/Oscar Wilde or Jekyll and Hyde comments, etc. Can anyone remember any references off the top of their heads that would narrow down this massive list, it would save me a LOT of time.

Any help you can think of, references at all relating to anything you consider 'gothic', please let me know!

cheer!

sunday :mrgreen:
stormy_daze
Private

Re: Gothics? (Vampire, werewolf, etc) references in M*A*S*H

Post by stormy_daze »

Oh PS - I am on a time limit, hoping to get a good draft within next month or so. :!: Thanks!
RJ
General of the Army

Post by RJ »

Hawkeye does a brief impersonation of Bela Lugosi in "Germ Warfare" while he and Trapper are preparing to draw Frank's blood ("Good work, Igor. Very good. In the morning he will be one of my brides"). And in "O.R." Klinger does his own Lugosi impersonation ("Blood! I must give blood, or die!") even drawing the red cloak he is wearing as part of his nurses uniform across his face.
stormy_daze
Private

Post by stormy_daze »

Ta :)
TimFoust
Corporal

Post by TimFoust »

When Stanley Robison a famous hollywood plastic surgeon comes in to do a special nose job the excuse given to Major Burns and Margret was that he made hawkeye in his labatory, and it was time to have his bolts tightened in his neck. It was on the first or second disk.

When hawkeye started sneezing uncontrollable due to a deep seeded trauma that happened when he was a kid. Everyone was giving him Ideas on how to cure the assumed cold. Klinger mentioned a acifidity bag, where you hang a garlic bag around your neck and let the fumes take care of it, Then BJ states it also takes care of Vampires as well.
TimFoust
Corporal

Post by TimFoust »

The pilot episode Frank was being pulled back to the mess tent by margret with his head still wrapped. Hawkeye says ugggg The Mummy Strikes!
TimFoust
Corporal

Post by TimFoust »

When Hawkeye was talking to the Captain in the jeep during the bugout. Hawkeye had a paitent that couldnt be moved for 24 hrs because of a laminectamy. Hawkeye referred to radar as his loyal minion. Radar asked whats that and Hawkeye replies you know you fetch goblets of wine, and the rest of the definitions of a minion. This one was in the 4 or 5th season.
TrapperJoe
Corporal

Post by TrapperJoe »

Also in "Germ Warfare", after Hawkeye and Trapper have taken Frank's blood, they are looking over the Major the next day and ask Frank for a blood sample. Frank says "The last thing I'm going to give you two ghouls is any of my blood." Frank leaves and Hawkeye says to Trapper, "Ghouls...that's a nice thing to call us vampires"
TrapperJoe
Corporal

Post by TrapperJoe »

In "The Chosen People" when Hawkeye is about to draw blood from the baby, Radar is concerned about the baby feeling any pain, and Hawkeye says, "I'll have you know I've drawn more blood than Dracula on a blind date."

Also in "The Light that Failed" Klinger enters the O.R. with a fresh light bulb, and B.J. says "Klinger, in this light you look just like Boris Karloff's sister."

Klinger adds, in his best Karloff impersonation, "Thank you, sir."
TimFoust
Corporal

Post by TimFoust »

RJ wrote:Hawkeye does a brief impersonation of Bela Lugosi in "Germ Warfare" while he and Trapper are preparing to draw Frank's blood ("Good work, Igor. Very good. In the morning he will be one of my brides"). And in "O.R." Klinger does his own Lugosi impersonation ("Blood! I must give blood, or die!") even drawing the red cloak he is wearing as part of his nurses uniform across his face.
Frank also said in this episode "Germ Warfare" Im not giving you gouls any of my blood, Hawkeye said "Gouls, Thats a nice thing to call us Vampires.

When the Unit needed blood to fill the bank, Hawkeye told Father Mulchehey to turn in his cross you just been promoted to vampire.
TimFoust
Corporal

Post by TimFoust »

in one episode Col Potter is on the phone with I Corp, he told the captain on the other end " Blood, the 4077th needs blood damnit, we are squeezing turnips here, Dracula couldnt find a quick snack here"
stormy_daze
Private

Post by stormy_daze »

Thanks everyone! You've been a big help. Much appreciated!