Hawkeye Voted Least Favorite Episode from Season 4

Last month, visitors to MASH4077TV.com voted “Hawkeye ” their least favorite episode from Season 4. The vote was not close. “Hawkeye” recieved 46 votes, or 21% of the total vote. In second place was “Of Moose and Men” with 28 votes (13%). “The Interview” was a close third with 23 votes (11%), followed by “The Price of Tomato Juice” with 20 votes (9%) and “Quo Vadis, Captain Chandler?” with 13 votes (6%).

A total of 219 votes were cast, down slightly from the 288 votes for April’s “Least Favorite Episode from Season 3” poll. Every single episode received at least two vote with the exception of “Mail Call Again,” which nobody voted for.

Here are the full results:

Great 2017 M*A*S*H Episode Poll: Pick Your Least Favorite Episode from Season 4

Hawkeye (21%, 46 Votes)
Of Moose and Men (13%, 28 Votes)
The Interview (11%, 23 Votes)
The Price of Tomato Juice (9%, 20 Votes)
Quo Vadis, Captain Chandler? (6%, 13 Votes)
The Late Captain Pierce (5%, 10 Votes)
Smilin’ Jack (4%, 9 Votes)
The More I See You (4%, 8 Votes)
Welcome to Korea (4%, 8 Votes)
The Novocaine Mutiny (3%, 7 Votes)
The Bus (3%, 6 Votes)
Deluge (2%, 5 Votes)
Dear Peggy (2%, 4 Votes)
It Happened One Night (2%, 4 Votes)
Some 38th Parallels (2%, 4 Votes)
Hey Doc (2%, 4 Votes)
The Gun (2%, 4 Votes)
The Kids (2%, 4 Votes)
Dear Mildred (1%, 3 Votes)
Der Tag (1%, 3 Votes)
Dear Ma (1%, 2 Votes)
Soldier of the Month (1%, 2 Votes)
Change of Command (1%, 2 Votes)
Mail Call Again (0%, 0 Votes)

Total Votes: 219

For the record, back in April 2015, “Welcome to Korea” was voted the favorite episode from Season 4.

I’m not at all surprised that fans consider “Hawkeye” their least favorite episode of Season 4. It’s the episode I voted for. It’s not a terrible episode–in fact, it’s quite remarkable in many ways–but it’s one I don’t enjoy rewatching. The fact that so many people voted for “The Interview” seems to be proof that a lot of people don’t realize these polls are about the LEAST favorite episode.

Which episode did you vote for and why? If you voted for “The Interview” and meant it, what don’t you like about the episode?

Be sure to vote in this month’s poll. Pick your least favorite episode from Season 4.

• Taylor Costello says:

I can’t remember for sure, but I likely would have voted for ‘The Novocaine Mutiny.’

MASH has told this story better in the past. Part of me hates how one-sided Frank Burns is by now. Early in the run, they tried to bring some nuance to the character, place Hawkeye on the wrong side of a dispute, but this was a lot of work, I guess.

Larry Linville and Frank Burns were one-note comic punching bags by S4. This is fine for episodes like ‘The Bus’ and ‘Soldier of the Month’ but when his purpose exists solely to be a straw man, for any ethical argument Hawkeye and everyone else broaches, it makes me quesy about laughing at him.

• Penguinphysics says:

I voted for Hawkeye, but only because it is the least great episode (but still awesome) My favorite seasons, by far, are 4 & 5 so this and next month’s vote will be supremely difficult for me.

“Hawkeye,” no contest. If not Hawkeye, I would have voted for “Of Moose and Men,” simply because it’s a bad episode and the actor playing the wounded Colonel (forget both of their names) actually looked and sounded worse after surgery than he did before, which is incredibly odd.

Other than that, this month’s results seem a bit more plausible, though I’d disagree with the ranking of “The Price of Tomato Juice,” as it’s one of my favorites of a foursome of Season 4 episodes (“The Gun,” “Mail Call Again,” and “Dear Ma”).

It was Tim O’Connor playing Col. Spiker in “Of Moose and Men”.

I voted for “Hawkeye” this month. The reason being it didn’t appeal to me.

‘Hawkeye’ is definitely a polarizing episode considering it’s widely considered as catering to the show star’s ego. I too, initially, hated it, but it’s grown on me on further viewings.

My worst episode for the month was ‘The More I See You.’ I don’t get the point on this episode. Was it to show why Hawkeye was the way he was?? Was it to show that even Hawkeye had a one true love he never forgot?? I didn’t get why they had to introduce us to Carlye and then never mention her again for the rest of the series. Boring episode. Boring dialog. Boring fake emotions.

• Andrea says:

I voted for Of Moose and Men. I find the episode too bitty, not very interesting, I’ve never been a fan of Zale as a character and Tim O’Connor is a terrible actor.

I’m not a fan of the episode Hawkeye but I appreciate they were trying to do something different and at least Alan Alda can act.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: if “Hawkeye” was indeed an experiment by Larry Gelbart to see if just one of the characters could carry the show by himself, then Hawkeye was the wrong choice: he was already the unofficial star of the show anyway, so this could have been a moment to let any of the other characters to shine – like B.J., or Potter, perhaps, as they were both new to the show, this could have been an opportunity to learn more about them, and see how either of them would react to their situations.