Episode Spotlight: Hey, Look Me Over

“Hey, Look Me Over” (#236, 11×01)
Originally Broadcast: Monday, October 25th, 1982
Written by Karen Hall
Directed by Burt Metcalfe

Capsule Summary: While Margaret prepares for an inspection, Hawkeye is forced to reevaluate how he sees one of the nurses at the 4077th.

I’m of two minds about this episode, specifically the main storyline involving Nurse Kellye and Hawkeye. The concept works in theory but in execution it falls flat. It was nice to see a minor character get a chance to shine and I suppose it was a fitting way to kick off the final season of M*A*S*H (even if this episode was filmed during the tenth season but held until the eleventh). But why would Kellye care so much that Hawkeye didn’t treat her like all the other nurses? If anything, she should have been happy he wasn’t constantly pursuing her.

Prior to this episode, we never saw any hint that Kellye was hurt to be overlooked by Hawkeye. Actually, we didn’t really know much about her at all. So to suddenly learn so much in one episode was a little overwhelming. Maybe it would have made more sense if she was just disgusted at the way Hawkeye continually hounded the nurses at the 4077th, rather than personally hurt that he wasn’t hounding her.

Hawkeye’s behavior in this episode was a reflection of the strain the series was under having been on the air so long. Although within the confines of the series the characters had only been in Korea for a year or two, at most, viewers had been watching them every week for over a decade. At some point, after a few years, Hawkeye’s skirt-chasing stopped being amusing and started being uncomfortable. The tuxedo only made things worse. It didn’t help that Alan Alda had aged a decade since the series began.

Dancing cheek to cheek

That said, the scene in which Kellye comforted the mortally wounded soldier was powerful. Powerful because we know there are men and women who die during war and there are men and women who are by their side as they do.

The B storyline featuring Margaret dealing with the unexpected inspection felt repetitive at best.

In “Memories of M*A*S*H,” Kellye Nakahara states that Burt Metcale and Alan Alda brought the script for this episode to her and asked if she was interested. She was.

This episode was the late Susan Oliver’s directorial debut and one of only a handful of episodes directed by a woman. Oliver is best known for her acting, including a role in the original, unaired pilot episode for Star Trek in 1964. Her only other directing credit is an episode of Trapper John, M.D..

Meh episode at best. Did not like the storyline at all. Hawkeye, by now, had this reputation as a skirt chaser and I don’t know why any self respecting woman would want to become another notch on his cot post (or wherever he notched up his conquests).

In ‘Too Many Cooks’, Kellye goes to the gourmet dinner in the mess tent with Maj. Winchester. Now, that would have been interesting to see. How Charles handled Kellye’s crush on him. All in all, glad that she got to shine in an episode after being in the background for 11 years but the story is very unmemorable and the scenery chewing by both Alan and Kellye is painful to watch.

• I’ve never seen the episode, but I haven’t heard a single positive thing about it, and frankly, what I do know about the plot, it almost sounds like a very clumsy episode anyway.

• Larry P. says:

This one’s a bit too preachy for my tastes, though not up the levels of “Inga.” It could’ve been worse, I don’t think it’s an awful installment, but still not an ep I revisit often. Seoul City Sue hit the nail on the head with the mention of scenery chewing; there’s a ton of it.

A mediocre start to the final season.

• Apparently, even though this episode was the first to air for the final season, it wasn’t the first chronologically; that distinction appears to belong to “U.N., the Night, and the Music”, even though it originally aired halfway through.

• Joe says:

I haven’t seen the episode since it first aired in 1982, but I can remember not being overly impressed with it.

• Tuttle says:

Had this show been done during the first few seasons, when Hawkeye’s womanizing was it’s height, it would’ve had for more impact.

Does anyone know how many shows(besides the finale) they shot for Season11 that weren’t “leftovers” from Season 10?

• Priz says:

It was nice to get to see more of Kellye’s character, but wanting a date with Hawkeye didn’t make much sense knowing what a womanizer he was. Most women wouldn’t want a man like that in their lives and those who have had a man like that usually end up regretting it. My wife said the same thing.

I do agree the scene in which she comforted the dying patient was powerful to say the least.

A rather tepid episode to start the final season. After Margaret chews out Hawkeye and Kellye for their arguing,then threatens Pierce with a punch in the mouth, her smile re-entering post-op seemed very phony. I always thought the one thing Margaret learned while romancing Frank Burns was how to usurp authority every chance she got. Plus, her insanely neurotic attitude towards the inspection rubbed me the wrong way.

• jgf says:

I believe Kellye’s outburst was justified, truthful, and it’s always nice to see Hawkeye deflated. This wasn’t about a date; they were having a nice conversation when Hawkeye completely ignores her to ogle the other nurses. I think any woman in that situation would be offended, if not angry.

Another stale Margaret-and-the-nurses-get-inspected plot. So Margaret gets to scream and yell through an episode. She should be accustomed by now, take it easy, and cut the histrionics; after all, this is supposedly the best MASH with the best record in the theater.

And Alda’s age has been obvious for at least a season, no way he can still pass as a draftee doctor. But MASH has become “The Alan Alda Show”, he will be around til he is bald, toothless, and getting around with a walker.

Not one of the better episodes, but it is fun to see Hawkeye chewed out, then see him go to Kellye’s tent only to find she already has company.

Agree with most that this episode is not very good at all, although I loved Kelleye going off on Hawkeye. He deserves it for the way he treats Kellye in the officers club, and for pretty much everything else about his character when it comes to women.

Random but during Kelleye’s rant, I find it hilarious when she spells raggmopp.

• Fran says:

It’s an episode I never forgot. I’d love to see it again.